Less is best
Less is what we want. Less is what we crave. More is everywhere, less is rare. Like any great work of art, or piece of music, or great architecture, or city planning, any element that is not absolutely required should be removed. This is most important when it comes to code, as well as design. Unnecessary code slows your site down. Unnecessary design elements draw the eye away from what is essential. We help remove the distractions from your site so that the visitor can focus on your message, your culture, and your brand. When they can find what they want, they are more likely to move naturally towards your desired outcomes.
Gimicks get old fast
We've all seen trendy bits of animation come and go. The reason they show up is that they look cool, and make you feel like something is happening. The first time you see them, they entertain, and look modern, the fourth time you see them they become annoying. We happily employ animation or new techniques wherever it helps acheive the desired result for your site, but recommend against them if they have the potential to aggravate, or if they are not essential to your message.
Eliminate the aggravators
Aggravators are elements in your site that tend to annoy the visitor. They can be form elements that are not intuitive, navigations that hinder the natural flow of information, push elements that delay movement, or something that just slightly grates on the visitor. These aggravators can seem like slight impediments, but they add up. People like things fast and friction free online. We work to make sure your site stays that way.
Harmonize with the brand
Your brand is not just your logo. It is the feeling you want a potential customer, client, fan or buyer to have about you. It is your public personna. It communicates a mood, a culture, a mission, a world view. The design of your site should always be in harmony with your brand and never forced to fit within a narrow set of parameters from a generic idea of "good design." That is why your brand and your website need to be unique.
Break the right rules
Not all rules are worth breaking, just for the sake of being innovative. Just as you might want to redesign a door handle to be creative, the first time you see someone show up, try to enter, and leave because they can't figure out how to use it, you know the cost of that innovation. Working within proper standards, rules can be broken without risking losing the right visitors. This is why you need a company with years of experience in the design of such tools to help you. We are just such a company.
Creating a custom designed website is a complex process. We believe in doing things right here at Slabmedia. Here are the 12 steps we take to ensure your site comes out looking and working great.
- research of brand, competitors
- preliminary proposed architecture (site and information structure)
- anticipation of client needs and existing structure
- explanation of content management
- establish site mission and action goals
- Architecture Building
- establish development domain
- keep navigation plan simple and intuitive
- propose information grouping that works for visitor
- establish key elements, (slider, homepage structure, etc)
- initial build of structure for site
- align architecture with mission and action goals
- Custom Design
- research according to current and proposed branding
- examine of competitor's sites
- anticipate key trends in general web design
- work with client to establish color palette and type face use
- ensure harmony with logo and other branding items
- build out of initial design in development domain
- align design with mission and action goals
- Content Development
- addition of basic content
- revision of site organization to fit content
- navigation revisions
- new sections added, redundant sections removed
- recommendations for content that may be missing
- provide training for client side addition and editing of content
- make sure content serves mission
- Design Revisions
- 2 rounds minimum of revisions of design once basic content is in place
- recommend new functionality (if needed)
- revisit color and typeface plan
- fine tune general structure and block dimension and spacing
- review mission and action goals
- Custom Programming
- add new custom created elements (if needed) for interaction
- on homepage
- interior pages
- create custom forms for contact, signup, other queries for information
- create additional complex forms (if needed)
- ensure all forms are effective and intuitive
- Mobile Design
- creation of a mobile layout in harmony with custom design
- testing on phones, tablets, readers
- adjustments for optimization on each (if needed)
- test for good user interaction
- test for odd elements (thumbnails, sliders, etc)
- Newsletter Template creation
- design in harmony with website
- ensure maximum compatibility with mail readers
- Final elements added
- social media icons and api integration (if needed)
- test with mobile layout
- create a custom favicon (that little icon in the tab of the browser)
- Initial SEO check
- establish general keywords, site description and root title
- flush test text from all meta tags
- add meta information for all content pages during setup
- Test against standards
- test for accessibility (as needed)
- site speed check
- Go Live
- final revisions and checks
- DNS propagation for website and email
- script adjustments once site goes live
- test at live url and final adjustments
We custom design your site to perfectly fit your brand, your goals and your needs. We mostly develop in WordPress, Magento, Shopify, PinnacleCart or our own Slab9 web publishing platform.
Your brand is more than your logo. We can create the right identity for your company, project or organization. Your identity should be unique to you and express your overall vision. Let us help make sure you get it right.
What you say about yourself and how you say it are important to making sure your website is effective. We can help you get your language communicating clearly with an ear to potential browsers who are looking for what you have to offer.
Websites can be complex entities. Changing standards, trends, and software updates require a constant and expert eye to ensure smooth operations. We offer ongoing support and hosting for WordPress, Magento, PinnacleCart and Slab9 sites on our fast reliable servers.